Alopecia (Hair Loss) is bad enough on its own, but when coupled with intense and painful scarring it can be a nightmare. These two together could mean Folliculitis Decalvans, which is thankfully a rare condition, but there are real and permanent consequences for sufferers.
Maintaining great scalp health is a necessary part in keeping a full, healthy head of hair. Affected regions may never see the same hair growth again, meaning it is crucial to treat it as soon as possible.
Folliculitis Decalvans is a skin condition in hair follicles become inflamed, which can lead to the development of scarring, pustules and sores. This can affect any region where hair grows, and is more likely to affect men than women.
Symptoms can include:
- Tufting of hair follicles: where multiple hairs erupt from a single follicle.
- Itchiness, redness, swelling, which can cause discomfort and pain.
- Small patches of hair loss in and around the scalp, which can cause embarrassment, especially if no treatment is sought.
What Causes Folliculitis Decalvans?
The details of causation are currently unclear, though it is thought that it may be an immune reaction to Staphylococcus aureus which makes itself at home on the scalp. Affected individuals should consult with a dermatologist to analyse skin around the scalp, and to find treatment options.
How can it Be Treated?
Unfortunately, this condition can’t be cured, but there are methods of managing it. The most appropriate method will depend entirely on each individual, the condition of the surround skin around the scalp, the duration of the inflammation, and the microbial life responsible.
However, treatments can include:
- Topical antibiotics: Applying antibiotics to the affected area to manage the outbreak of infections
- Corticosteroids: Anti-inflammatory medications can be used to reduce discomfort and swelling around the area
- Minoxidil: An effective vasodilator that works to promote hair growth in the surrounding follicles.
At Advanced Hair Studio, our experts can tell exactly what’s causing your condition; whether it’s something minor or more serious, we’ll have the right treatment plan for you. Get in contact with us today to find out what you can do.
Contact Advanced Hair Studio New Zealand For Hair Replacement Treatments
Rest assured, you can replace your thinning or balding hair. Advanced Hair Studio has over 1 Million happy customers who will attest to this.
Restore your confidence today: